The Search for Soma
Insights on Attaining the Elixir of Life
The ancients teach that Soma, the elixir of immortality, is churned from the cosmic oceans by the demons and the gods. What does this mean for your own search for Soma?
This profound myth has long captivated audiences, and with good reason: it richly encodes the mechanics of spiritual evolution. This course decodes ‘the search for soma’ to apply its insights to modern spiritual life.
This 4-week online course is taught by renowned scholar, wisdom teacher and storyteller Dr. Raj Balkaran. It integrates philosophical teachings, captivating storytelling, and embodied esoteric insight to teach you how to unlock the power of this myth cycle for your own spiritual growth.
Captivating elements of this myth cycle include:
- The gods tricking the demons to procure the elixir – is this moral?
- Śiva neutralizing poison in the throat – can you do the same? Or do you generally ‘spew’ or ‘swallow ‘toxicity?
- Fruits of the churning including Indra’s elephant mount, jewels, a wish-fulfilling tree, divine weapons, the wish-fulfilling cow – what blessings have you received? What blessings do you yet seek?
- The power of disguise: the demon Rahu donning the garb of the gods to be spotted by the Sun and Moon and decapitated by Viṣṇu; Viṣṇu donning feminine garb to seduce the demons – how well can you spot disguises?
- The emergence of the goddess Lakṣmī, representative of light, abundance, relationships, sustenance, domestic bliss – what is your relationship to Lakṣmī like?
- The emergence of Sage Dhanvantari, father of Ayurveda, carrying the elixir of immortality – what does ‘attaining soma’ look like to you?
***This course counts as 12 hours of Yoga Alliance Continuing Education Credit***
- Representations of Soma in Vedic hymns
- Myths of Soma from the Sanskrit Epics and Purāṇas
The symbology of Soma as the means of immortality
The symbology of key elements of this myth cycle, especially Śiva neutralizing poison, fruits of the churning, the power of guises, and the birth of Lakṣmī.
- How to apply the insights in this myth cycle for your own spiritual evolution.
- academic content
- live storytelling
- esoteric wisdom teachings
- examples and case studies
- personal experiences
(Released March 3, 2023)
Neutralizing the Poisons of Life
(Released March 10, 2023)
Dealing with Demons, Inner and Outer
(Released March 17, 2023)
Blessings of the Quest
(Released March 24, 2023)
LIVE ZOOM TUTORIALS (Optional)
Mondays @ 2pm EST
Tutorial 1: March 6, 2023
Tutorial 2: March 13, 2023
Tutorial 3: March 20, 2023
Tutorial 4: March 27, 2023
Neutralizing the Poisons of Life
- Vedic Soma: plant, brew, deity, altered states of consciousness
- Purāṇic Soma: the Elixir of Immortality
- Tortoise Pose (64) – “The Churning of the Ocean, Part I”
- Cobra Pose (40) – “The Churning of the Ocean, Part II”
- Reclining Pose (52) – “Viṣṇu’s Serpent Couch”
- The Birth of Lakṣmī, Abundance Incarnate
- Lotus Pose (98) – “The Churning of the Ocean, Part III”
- Visions of Spiritual Awakening
- Perfection Pose (72) – “The Power of Yogic Attainment”
- Corpse Pose (46) – “Śiva and the Power of Inertia”
- Tree Pose (160) – “Stretched Between Heaven and Earth”
- Thunderbolt Pose (168) – “Wielding the Sacred Fire”
- Sage Bharadvāja (214) – “The Quest for Complete Knowledge”
Dr. Raj Balkaran is an expert in Indian traditions. Skilled at applying ancient Indian teachings to modern life, he dovetails academic training, live storytelling, and life wisdom to nourish his students’ hearts and minds alike.
He is also an avid spiritual practitioner and initiate into ancient Indian wisdom practices, which he has been engaged in for nearly two decades. He has extensive experience teaching academics, continuing studies learners, and practitioners alike, and is a seasoned online educator. See https://rajbalkaran.com for more information.
Questions about this course?
Contact him directly at [email protected]